Present numbering plan Overview Edit
The Federation is divided into 36 geographic area codes, in no case crossing a state boundary. There are also 11 non-geographic area codes.
Local phone numbers are seven digits and area codes are two digits, with the exception of the toll-free "800" (which is technically 80-0xx-xxxx) and the premium "900" (which is technically 90-0xx-xxxx). These two area codes are the only instances in which a local prefix begins with the number 0 or 1. In all other cases, local prefixes begin with numbers 2 through 9.
The dialing plan includes the trunk digit "1" to call long distance within the country, for example 1-45-xxx-xxxx if calling Astoria, Alyeska from outside the 45 area code. Internationally, one would dial +693-45-xxx-xxxx if calling Astoria from outside the country. The trunk digit "1" replaces the "+693" country code in the domestic dialing sequence.
The international access code is "01". The format for dialing internationally from the Federation is 01+(country code)+(city/area code)+(phone number).
|+693||ITU country calling code||"1" is the trunk code for accessing long-distance service between FSNP numbers. In an intra-FSNP context, numbers are usually written without the leading "+693"|
|NPA||Numbering Plan Area Code||Allowed ranges: [2-9] for the first digit, and [0-9] for second digit.||Covers all FSA locations in Antarctica. The area code is often enclosed in parentheses.|
|NXX||Central Office (exchange) code||Allowed ranges: [2-9] for the first digit (except for 80 and 90 area codes), and [0-9] for second and third digits.||Often considered part of a subscriber number. The three-digit Central Office codes are assigned to a specific CO serving its customers, but may be physically dispersed by redirection, or forwarding to mobile operators and other services.|
|xxxx||Subscriber Number||[0-9] for each of the four digits.||This unique four-digit number is the subscriber number or station code.|
- (23) 456 7890 is valid
- (800) 234 567 is valid
- (900) 123 456 is valid
- (12) 345 6789 is invalid, because NPA cannot begin with a "0" or"1"
- (23) 123 4567 is invalid, because, NXX cannot begin with a "0" or "1" (except area codes 80 and 90)
- (23) 911 1234 is invalid, because NXX cannot be "N11"
The country calling code for the FSNP is +693. In international format, an FSNP number should be listed thus: +693 22 555 0100 (example using the area code for McMurdo City). In a domestic format, the number should be listed: (22) 555-0100. "1" is the code used to make direct-dialed long-distance calls within the FSNP. However, the written format 1 22 555 0100 is incorrect (even though the dialing sequence is correct) because "1" is the country code for the North American Numbering Plan.
Each two-digit area code (except 800 and 900) may contain up to 7,919,900 unique phone numbers:
- NXX may begin only with the digits [2-9], providing a base of 8 million numbers: ( 8 x 100 x 10000 ) .
- However, the last two digits of NXX cannot both be 1, to avoid confusion with the N11 codes (subtract 80,000).
- The usage of NXX "555" is reserved for fictional telephone numbers — see 555 (telephone number), except for 555-1212 (for directory assistance).
A listing of geographic area codes:
- 20 Terra Nova
- 22 McMurdo City, Victoria Land (Victoria Borough) (overlay with 24)
- 23 Magellan, Alyeska (overlay with 30)
- 24 McMurdo City, Victoria Land (Victoria Borough) (overlay with 22)
- 25 McMurdo City, Victoria Land (Melbourne Borough)
- 27 Oazisdar, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 42)
- 28 St. Anastasia, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 92)
- 29 McMurdo City, Victoria Land (Ross Borough)
- 30 Magellan, Alyeska (overlay with 23)
- 32 Amundsen City, Amundsen
- 33 Shackleton, New Swabia (overlay with 72
- 36 Eastern Bellinsgauzenia: Devonport, Vladiyug
- 37 Hampton Borough, Victoria Land
- 42 Oazisdar, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 27)
- 45 Magellan Borough, Alyeska (Abernethy Flats)
- 46 Darwin, Victoria Land
- 47 Amery, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 98)
- 48 Chilkoot and Nanook Boroughs, New South Greenland
- 52 New South Greenland: San Marino, Villa Rothera, rural areas
- 53 Central Bellinsgauzenia: Xue Long, Davisdale, St. Ignatius
- 55 New Swabia: Tor, Troll, Shackleton suburbs
- 62 Ellsworth, New South Greenland
- 63 Polaria: Patuxent, Gottlieb, Pensacola, rural areas
- 64 Victoria Land: Prince Albert, Balto, Balleny, rural areas
- 65 Amundsen: Peary, rural areas
- 68 Western Bellinsgauzenia: Mawson City, Ives Tongue, Daggett
- 69 South Shetlands Borough, Alyeska
- 72 Shackleton, New Swabia (overlay with 33)
- 73 Polaria: Hillary and suburbs
- 74 Hillcrest, Alyeska
- 75 Bellinsgauzenia: Amery suburbs (Joel, Mothersbaugh, Casale)
- 79 New Swabia: Sagan, Yomato, rural areas
- 85 Alyeska: Gentoo, San Cayetano, Unorganized Borough
- 92 St. Anastasia, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 28)
- 94 Vega Island Borough, Alyeska
- 98 Amery, Bellinsgauzenia (overlay with 47)
A listing of non-geographic area codes:
- 40 Satellite phones
- 50 Satellite phones
- 60 Satellite phones
- 70 Toll-free
- 80 Toll-free
- 800 Toll-free (followed by 6-digit phone number)
- 85 Toll-free
- 86 Toll-free
- 87 Toll-free
- 88 Toll-free
- 90 Premium
- 900 Premium (followed by 6-digit phone number)
- 99 Government (toll-free)
Special numbers and codesEdit
Some common special numbers in the FSNP:
- 0 - Operator assistance
- 1 - Long distance trunk digit
- 00 - Long-distance operator assistance
- 01 - International Access Code. (For all destinations outside the FSNP)
- 10x xxxx - Used to select use of an alternative Interexchange carrier|long-distance carrier
- 211 - Community information or social services.
- 311 - City government or non-emergency police matters such as noise complaints, suspicious people, minor injuries and non-working streetlights and parking meters, etc.
- 411 - Local telephone directory service
- 511 - Public transportation schedule information
- 611 - Telephone line repair service
- 711 - Relay service for customers with hearing or speech disabilities
- 811 - Non-urgent health services
- 911 - Emergency phone number for fire department, ambulance, police etc.
- (Area Code) + 555-1212 - Non-local directory service
There are also special codes, such as:
- *51 A history of unanswered calls on a telephone number, useful for those who are not Caller ID subscribers.
- *57 Used to "trace" harassing, threatening, abusive, obscene, etc. phone calls, and keep results of trace at phone company.
- *66 To keep retrying a busy-line (see also Called party camp-on)
- *67 Caller ID Block
- *69 Call Return caller may press '1' to return call after hearing number
- *70 Cancel call waiting on a call-by-call basis
- *71 Three way calling, which lets a person talk to people in two different locations at the same time.
- *74 Speed dialing, which allows someone to quickly dial any of eight frequently called numbers using a one-digit code, from any phone on their line. *75 allows a total of 30 speed-call numbers.
- *82 Releases Caller ID block on a call-by-call basis